Saturday, September 02, 2006

Sept. 2, 1974

I really did want to do a public service, and that's how it all started, but partway through I realized that I could milk this for nine credit hours and three "A"s on my college report card. Proves once again that nobody is truly altruistic; there is always a little bit of "what's in it for me" somewhere in there.

Anyway, my radio program for the visually impaired, homebound and elderly is celebrating its 32nd birthday and/or anniversary today. That means we are starting our 33rd year of daily, non-stop service, 365 days per year. A handful of services that require a special receiver have been on a few years longer than us, but when it comes to broadcasting every day to anyone with an FM radio, we're the first. Present at the creation, as I like to say. And 11,680 broadcasts later, the Radio Home Visitor is still here.

How long can it last? Beats me; I voiced the tape version of a magazine for 35 years, giving it up last year only because I ran out of gas. Because of grad school, I've only done 28 out of these 32 years ("only"?) and still chug along rather handily every day. So the question is an open one and I'll get to it when the time comes.

I've been part of the media (print and broadcast) for 48 years now and this blog is my newest effort, barely five months old. I'm still amazed that I've been 28/32nds of what has been a very popular program for people who have difficulty reading, or are alone.

So let's celebrate; there's lemonade in the lobby and booze in the basement.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you and your merry band of readers (past and present) for the wonderful job you all do.
May the RHV keep on keepin' on for as long as there is someone to listen.

Now, where did you say that drink is?

September 02, 2006 10:04 AM  
Blogger Gort said...

It's a great service. I have been listening to WRKC since I was in high school. I remember hearing a show around the holidays called The Mad Drummer's Christmas Special that was a riot. Do they still play it or have it archived?

September 02, 2006 11:18 AM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

I dunno; I'll have to write to the MD and see if he has it.

September 02, 2006 1:00 PM  
Blogger D.K said...

RHV is more than a "reading radio service" for the blind; it's a sacred Ministry offered to the home bound and blind in the community.
Greetings from the "flying Kessler" family.

September 02, 2006 1:32 PM  
Blogger Reading Reader said...

Congratulations RHV! May God bless you abundantly for this sharing of your treasure.

I wish you many new readers for many more years.

September 03, 2006 4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...after 30 years the Christmas Special still lives in someone's memory...thank you: what a honor to all that contributed to it...yes MD still has it...actually on CD now...I had to "bake" the master tape in order to get the oxide to adhere to the tape for a good pass...sorry too techy...anyway I'm not sure if they still play it but I'll send Sue Henry a copy...hope all is well in the valley...glad RHV is still going strong...best to all.

themaddrummer@juno.com
www.myspace.com/the_maddrummer

September 17, 2006 12:04 AM  
Blogger Kim M. said...

Hi Tom,
Thanks so much for dropping me a line and for your well-wishes. I am so glad I could find you -- technology can be so helpful! Give NEPA a big kiss for me; it sure is beautiful up there. All the best,
Kim M.

April 06, 2008 10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home