Thursday, August 31, 2006

Certain Sayings

Some sayings have passed through my life, one of which I made up myself:

I share custody of a cat with a friend. When it has to barf up a hairball, it makes noises somewhat similar to a baby, or some weird adult, trying to speak. If I hear it at night while I'm still in bed, I just remember the warning I made up: "When the cat starts talking, watch where you're walking."

My grandmother's favorite exclamation was, "Oh, my stars and garters!" Whether she knew it or not, she was referring to medals (stars) and the highest order of English knighthood (the Order of the Garter). The phrase goes back about 300 years to mean all these honors.

This one is already available on Google and it links to this very blog site, "Things At King's." So here we go again. It's about, uh, having a relationship with an older woman, regardless of your own age. As my mother put it, "They don't yell, tell or swell." Someone added, "and they are grateful as h*ll."

I've avoided being mashed at intersections by remembering this advice: "The right of way is something the other guy gives you; if he doesn't give it to you, you don't have it."

That which gives me most solace is: "There is always one more imbecile than you expected."

1 Comments:

Blogger D.K said...

I tell my kids this: "Driving is not a God-given rite but a privilege."

September 01, 2006 9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home