Wednesday, September 06, 2006

For $13 Million, I'd...

Katie Couric is making $13 million/year on a 3-year contract. Not bad for being able to read intelligently into a camera; can I get 1/13th of that for reading intelligently into a microphone?

One person on an early morning tv show was complaining about how hard it was to get up at 2:00am or 3:00am for the program. She was making somewhere in the vicinity of maybe $10m, perhaps less. Anyway, lots and lots of dough.

Hmmmmm... For $13m/year, I'd get up anytime they wanted me. I'd get a regular haircut for even less than that and not complain. I'd sell out in so many ways for that kind of money.

I just don't know what I'd spend it on. I don't watch tv all that much and my audio system, basic as it is, fills my needs. Maybe, instead of booking a cheap inside "share with a stranger" cabin on my yearly cruise, I'd get an outside suite for me alone. That still leaves a lot leftover, perhaps to be spread around to charitable groups in need that I know are low overhead.

That's not a pressing problem at the moment; the checks are not piling up on my desk, nor are they likely to. But, as Hamlet said, "To sleep, perchance to dream," and perchance I will dream of millions piled up in my bank accounts and investments. I will dream of wisely donating, and watching the sunset from my upper-deck verandah suite on Holland America Line's flagship.

In the midst of it, Shakespeare's MacDuff doth spake: "Awake! Awake! Ring the alarum bell! Shake off this downy sleep!" I come to, realizing that the millions aren't there, the outside suite isn't there. I'm booked for my usual steerage share, an inside cabin from which no sunset-watching will take place.

The places I'd go with 13 mil...
I'd circle the world, yeah, but still,
You can't take a checkbook out for a show,
And the "friends" you make will soon enough go.

As my grandmother used to say, "More wants more and blessed be nothing."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At my age $13 mil is wayyyy too much to want. I'd never live long enough to figure out what to do with it all. Instead, I'd live in terror that someone I love (including me!)would be in danger because of it.
Nah. Just give me a measily $5 mil and I'll be fine. I'll book the suite next to you and see the rest of the world.

September 06, 2006 2:42 PM  
Blogger D.K said...

For $13 mill, I would stay awake for a week.

September 06, 2006 6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home