Sunday, April 12, 2009

This Is Entirely Inappropriate

Several of us were at the ship’s tendering portal, waiting for one of their power launches to bring us over to Martha’s Vineyard. The water was fairly rough, as often happens there, and as I watched the boats bobbing up and down against the platform, I thought, “I know I can make it in there, but I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone who has lived more than a half-mile from the sea.”

About that point, the Captain announced we were not going to make our stop at this port, due to the rough and dangerous seas. “Smart move,” I said. “This is no place for anybody who hasn’t spent their formative years bailing out a boat, taking water over the bow or taking a pee off the front of the boat while your father shouts, 'WITH the wind, WITH the wind.'” Sorry, dad; kids don’t realize that.

A gent of my approx age went all disgusted. I don’t deal with those people; odd thing about my feet: they just turn around and walk away.

“This is entirely unacceptable!” he disgusted.

Kept inside, by a remarkable act of discretion, I wanted to say, “You think that’s entirely inappropriate? How about finding your @ in the harbor when you miss your step?”

“Tell me, sir, just what would be appropriate? Jesus walking across the water, holding us by the hand and leading us safely to shore?”

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mebbe he didn't realize that he had to return too!

Had a sister-in-law like that. Crossed a foot bridge, swaying in the wind and half way across realized that it was a round trip deal unless she wanted to walk halfway across Québec t ofetch up her car....

Exit 318

April 15, 2009 1:22 PM  
Anonymous ruthc said...

I remember when that happened. As I recall, the Captain made a bee-line for Newport (which was to be the next port anyway), and you had an extra day there.

My home state loved rolling out the red carpet early for all of you. Ka-ching!

April 15, 2009 11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home