Sunday, April 05, 2009

My New Lincoln Town Car

…which exists only in my imagination. But ever since Mom and I were taken to the airport in NYC in one, several times, I have lusted after these lovely vehicles as being just glamorous enough without an excess of ostentation.

Loaded, of course.

I can see myself, cruising the highways in comfort, music coming from the cd player, smooth as can be. Trips to anywhere, all at a moment’s notice.

The fact that I am severely limited in how far I can drive (25 minutes or so) doesn’t make the slightest difference: it’s all imagination and I am freed from whatever. I sail along the highways, at ease along the byways, at one with my beloved car.

Then I leave my apartment and get into my elderly Chevy Cavalier. It gets me where I am going, and gets me back home – reliably, I must say. I’ll never get pulled over for speeding uphill and won’t sweat in the winter until the engine temperature finally decides to rise. But it’s my pal and we work together well.

Had a VW Karman Ghia, bought off a guy’s driveway for $450. It wasn’t in the best of shape, but it just loved to be driven, especially by someone who knew just how to drive it. And that someone was me. We drove over the hills and we drove thru the dales and loved each other.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it just great to find a vehicle that sort of becomes part of you? Right now I am having a love affair with a Tacoma. We've been together for a few years and we enjoy traveling. In fact one time on my way down to see you, I was tired, so I pulled over on the I-87 and slept in her bed.
Just yesterday while out taking pictures, she again showed her love as I put her in a 4-WD to get me out of an unplowed dirt road. Like a good lover, I washed her down later and bought her $30.00 worth of gas. I mean, hey, she's worth it. It's not everyone who loves a lover with gas!

Exit 318

April 07, 2009 7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom and Dad have a 2003 Town Car. A real "good-looker." Major problem: Rear-wheel drive. Good Summer car though!
D.

April 08, 2009 4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was prepared to blush if you talked about driving through tunnels.

April 20, 2009 11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home