Friday, April 10, 2009

Easter Weekend

This is the season of hope for us Christians, the time of year when we hear again the stories of how we have been promised a life that continues after this one. I can buy it; what we read was not written by crazy people – you can tell that by the way they put their words and thoughts together.

I just don’t know if this “afterlife” is a reward for living here, or if it’s the way we are supposed to exist and this place we’re in is the first gear, the pre-school, the minors. Do your best here, be a decent sort of chap, and after a relatively few years you are admitted in to whatever grand and glorious future awaits us.

What’s really neat is that it doesn’t end. We don’t look at a calendar and say, “Gee, only ten years left of this happiness and it’s all over.” There aren’t any lingering good-bye’s as people slip off into nothingness.

We’re home forever and we’re safe forever. And there’s my parents talking with their parents; it’s a family reunion going back thirty or forty generations. I'm being waved over as the latest member of the clan.

There is a feeling within us: This is the place we should be, the place we were meant to be. We don’t want our friends to be mourning us now.

Hope springs eternally.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, Palm Sunday for the "other white meat."
D

April 10, 2009 5:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you ever just plain scared about what lies ahead? Do you ever really wonder if THIS is what it's all about - no more, no less? I do. I'm comforted by words from a true-believer, and I struggle mightily to be one of you, but I just can't help but wonder and worry. I guess if there is something after this, it will be wonderful. If there's not, I just won't know. It would be nice to hug my dad, though.

April 20, 2009 11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home