Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Our Tendency Toward Improvements

When you see order, improvements, a sense of arrangement, then you know someone lives here. The island is populated, this part of the state is not the sole habitat of primal monkeys, it’s not a bombing range.

Robinson Crusoe, the Swiss Family Robinson, Boy Scouts on camping trips all began by making improvements. Probably the first was building a fire; the second was an outhouse, the third was protection from the weather.

I’ve moved a lot of times. First thing, take measure of the apartment. Literally. Before I move in, I measure the place, the location of windows, heating elements, electrical outlets, etc. Then I use my drafting skills to make a set of drawings that accurately reflect the lay-out of the place. Into that diagram go miniature cut-outs of my furniture, which I move around to find the best fit.

(One time, the movers insisted a desk would not fit in the space assigned. I said, “It will fit and with an inch between it and the bookshelf on its left.” Don’t mess.)

We add bushes to our yard, pimp our cars so Detroit would never know them, get Sunsetter awnings for the back terrace. We make life more convenient than just living under a tree, nursing our young and getting boinked by the old man.

Cell phones, texting – improvements, yes or no?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well... yes and no.

April 21, 2009 1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cell-Texting all have a place in a perfect world, I myself have never, will never text! Welcome Back!

April 21, 2009 1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home