Sunday, March 08, 2009

Oh, There's Another One

My apartment is two rooms and a bath, plus a small kitchenette. And thirteen clocks, not counting the watch I seldom wear.

Twice a year this becomes problematic. “Problematic” is an Old English word for “why do I have to change thirteen clocks and a watch I seldom wear?”

Three of the clocks are RadioShack clock/timers that are handy for radio and audio work, but since I’m not in the recording for the blind business anymore (except for my radio show, which is basically live), three of those timers have decided to camp out in my room.

My clock radio isn’t set to anything because I can’t see it at night, whereas my alarm clock puts out a beacon somewhat on the scale of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. You can balance your checkbook by it. There’s a wall clock I rescued from dumpster damnation (its sin was having a fallen second-hand) and it looks kinda nice at the foot of my bed where I can see it without, forbid the effort, turning my head to look at the alarm clock.

VCR, microwave, computer, bathroom … all tell me the time, along with my cordless and, when I figure out how to do it, my cellphone.

But when I am late for some important meeting or an appointment and someone says, “Do you know what TIME it is???” I can’t get way with “No, I don’t.”

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have one thought - and it's about Daylight Savings Time. I think it is another example of man taking over God's decision-making. God made the son to be overhead at Noon. And then in steps man and buggers up the natural order. I think that anyone who sets their time differently should be denied communion. I think that if parade marchers have their clocks set to pagan-time the Cathedral should have its doors locked with guards posted. And listen, don't bother asking someone from outside the area for a clarification - no one, even those from the big city, has anything to say that will make any difference to us.

March 09, 2009 3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man even changed the calendars.

However, here is a true story on time. Tom can testify to it. I retired on Friday May 5, 1995 at 8:30 AM and the next day I was out collecting fiddleheads with my podnah and I glanced at my watch, it showed 11:25. I stopped dead in my tracks. ''I'm retired, I no longer need to know the time and this watch has governed my days since you-know-who wore cowboy boots...I quit'' I took of my watch and threw it into the woods, I have never worn one since.

Think of it, our ancestors worked from can-to-can't and I did too when I worked in a fishing lodge. I ca ntime myself to wake up at any given hour, I eat when I'm hungry and sleep when I'm tired. My body is programmed for 10:00 PM.the eye switch closes for the night. The clock in my truck never gets changed. My truck is cool, it don' care what tiem it is

Tom, on the brighter side, next fall all you'll have to do is stop the clocks for an hour.

Exit 318

March 09, 2009 5:14 PM  
Blogger D.B. Echo said...

I had two clocks I never bothered to turn back last November. I felt very smart about those two clocks last weekend.

Too bad they'll both be needing new batteries soon.

March 10, 2009 11:41 PM  
Blogger D.B. Echo said...

(Of course, my 27 other clocks DID need changing. Except the ones that update by radio signal,)

March 10, 2009 11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home