Tuesday, March 03, 2009

I Did It For The First Time In High School

Bought me a typewriter, I did. At least, I think it was high school; might have been eighth grade.

When the pediatrician listened to my in-utero heartbeat, it had a slow, steady rhythm similar to someone hitting keys. Even at that age, I was pounding out a story about what it was like being in there and listening to conversations on the outside.

It had been 24 weeks and my brain-waves had started to kick in; I had to do something and writing an article seemed to be the best outlet.

Anyway, back to the typewriter. It was an old Underwood standard, cost probably $5 and, if I had kept it, I could bring it to an antiques store and pocket a cool $5. I used it all the time, pretty much daily, and was a fast hunt-and-peck. Later, I took a class in school (high school didn’t go so well for me and I was in the “he’s going nowhere” level, so they taught typing).

Thanks to playing piano, I was able to type amazingly fast. It’s a function of how quickly you can make your fingers run over a keyboard, whether piano or typewriter, says a musical friend of mine. “People who play piano are also incredibly fast typists,” which I did not realize.

I put a string on some existing button so I could ring the bell manually, for no good reason.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My nemesis on the Underwood was the event of two (or more) letters or whatever they are called, getting stuck together in the ''up'' position. I quit.

Many years later I was introduced to my daughter's computer and at the endof the first line I asked her how would I begin the second line.

Tempus does fugit ..........CJV

March 06, 2009 7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home