Thursday, September 14, 2006

Only A Month (Did He Say "Only"?)

My vacation time varies from year to year. Next year, it's in late April with the remote (and getting remoter) possibility of another week in September. This year, it's October 14-25. Today being September 14, that means I have but a month to wait; the longest month of the year, although I've found that the days do pass quickly.

I'm not one of those who like to clean my place before I leave. It's my firm conviction that dust and dirt are faithful friends; they will be there waiting for me when I return. Likewise, whatever work I don't get done by October 14 will still be there eleven days later, as it probably would be even if I were still at my desk.

The place will get along without me; I can't imagine it folding just because I take off for a few days. When the bus driver closes the door, puts the gearshift into reverse, beeps twice as a signal and backs up, I put my day job out of my mind. Whenever it pops up, I banish it. I am not here; there is nothing I can do about anything. I do not own a cell phone, I have told people who e-mail me on the ship not to talk about work. Actually, I don't care; for eleven days, I don't give a rat's ass.

This blog, too, will be on vacation during that time. For those who wish to follow my adventures, I will post daily on the Cruise Critic website. The thread will be filled with the usual information, humor and stories that have become my hallmark during cruises.

It's "only" a month away.

2 Comments:

Blogger Reading Reader said...

Your vacation begins on my birthday! This is truly a good sign. Sometimes the anticipation of the journey can be one of the best aspects of a vacation. Bon voyage, mon ami!

September 14, 2006 6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always look forward to your reports from the ship---and this time is no exception. It's going to be interesting to see how the new-to-you destination agrees with you. And it's always fun to read your unusual take on things.
I can hardly wait to sail!

September 14, 2006 9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home