Tuesday, September 12, 2006

"It's 10:32, 68 Degrees And Sunny"

Can't tell you how many "time and temp" drop-ins I've done over the years that I've been in radio. In my current studio, for the program I'm doing, I have a clock just a bit above me, and two timers directly in front of me. It's vital that I keep the program, and its segments, going at the right time; if any of the timepieces fails, I have others to keep me on track. All my "spontaneous" remarks are done with one eye on the clock; if I'm filling time, I know exactly when to stop and begin the next segment.

Not so when driving, oddly enough. If I have to be somewhere, I don't look at the clock or the speedometer, especially when traffic is heavy. I won't get there any faster by getting impatient with the drivers in front of me, nor will it help if I keep looking at the clock. I'm going to arrive at exactly the same time, laid-back or tensed up. It's best not to know some things.

You change what you can (as I do on my radio show), accept what you can't (traffic), and be smart enough to know which is which. I think it's good for your liver, or something.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember heading out for my first stress test. I gave myself 45 minutes for a 20-minute ride, but the freeway became a parking lot and there was a good chance I was going to be late. I realized there was nothing I could do, so relaxed and sang along to the pretty music on the radio.
Got there in time. And passed the stress test! Wonder how that would have gone if I had spent the travel time getting agita.

September 12, 2006 5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference."

...which is exactly what you said, of course. It's not just good for the liver (though mine's been doing MUCH better since I learned the above words), but it's good for your soul. I no longer get frustrated about things I can't change. I listen to music while in traffic, I don't rage at bad weather when I want to be outside, I don't get let spilt milk bother me longer than it takes to clean it up. If I can do something about what bothers me, I will do it. I'm not perfect at it, but since I stopped raging at things I couldn't change, my serenity level has gone WAY up. It's a good way to live.

Oh, and by the way, it's 10:08, 67 degrees and the moon is waning gibbous.

September 13, 2006 12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home