Sunday, January 03, 2010

You Are Here, But How Did It Happen?

Ok, so here you are: Sitting at a computer in some room, maybe in your house, perhaps at work, or in a wireless zone (maybe even in your car, close to a neighbor’s wireless house). You are some age, of some gender, living some place, employed or not. What brought you to be in this exact spot? What were the factors?

Mine are all tossed in together; there is no one path that brought me to this desk in my apartment, to wearing this sweatshirt (Stratford, Connecticut) or doing a radio program in about an hour from now. They are all mixed in together, along with some other factors that I am still trying to figure out. How complicated our pasts are!

I am driving down Union Street at One in the morning … because I just came back from the newspaper with the morning edition … which I need to produce for the radio reading service I developed 35 years ago … because I wanted to combine my years in radio and my work with the blind … which also got me 9 college credits … and so on.

Someone in Rhode Island listens to that radio show on the Internet … she’s friends with me because we met on a cruise and hit it off … which happened because my mother got me interested in cruising on trips to Alaska, but I didn’t want to back there, instead taking New England / Canada trips where this person was booked.

Oh, I started the Radio Home Visitor because I missed out on a job at a local radio station, so I thought up this service to the visually handicapped.

2 Comments:

Blogger D.B. Echo said...

This is a frequent meditation of mine: Every action you have taken, every decision you have made, every moment of your life has led up to this moment right now, to this place right here.

Another favorite meditation: Every living thing on Earth at this moment is the end product of a continuous chain of living things leading back to the very first living thing ever. (This may or may not be true, depending on whether life had a single starting point or multiple starting points, or even multiple starting times.)

January 04, 2010 12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What if I had listened to my mother and gone to college instead of joining the Navy, would I be sitting in Québec today freezing my butt off?

So miniscule an action can chnge your entire destiny. you normally drink you coffee using your right hand, and one time you use your left, spill some on your pants and you miss your bus for an important job interview....You just have to know that there is a Supreme being out there GPSing your life.

Exit 318

January 04, 2010 6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home