Sunday, July 26, 2009

First Report From The Ship

Well, it started out with a 4:10 a.m. --four [blank] o’clock in the [equally blank] morning -- bus to NYC. Let me tell you: Only a cruise would have me getting up at 3:00. Let the Second Coming take care of itself.

On the bus at 4:10am, off the second bus at 2:30pm. I wanted to kiss the ground when I got to the ship, but if you’ve seen the Boston waterfront, you don’t want to even look down. Just get out of the taxi, avoid anything that doesn’t look like concrete, and enter the terminal building, where everyone sounds like John F. Kennedy.

“See your ticket? Thank you, this way.” “See your passport? Thank you, this way.” “Check in is to your right.” “See your ticket? See your passport? See your boarding pass? Thank you. Here is your room card; enjoy your cruise, gangway is to your left.” “Welcome to the ship; see your room card? Thank you.”

There is only one daily program on the counter in my cabin; things look good. There is only one of anything; things look better. “Steward, who is in here with me?” “Ahhh, Mista Tom, you all alone. Enjoy.” You bet your @ I’ll enjoy. Two beds pushed together, my music in the room, bathroom to myself, all the closets, both of them.

It’s an inside, but behind the "window drapes" is a light, so I can also pretend I have a view. Of the wall. But I can watch the bow camera on the tv set which doubles as a “night light” after the sun goes down and a wake-up as it rises.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember an old joke, "How do you keep an idiot in suspense?" The answer was, "I'll tell you tomorrow." I'll wait impatiently for what should be some wonderful stories.

July 27, 2009 2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home