Monday, June 29, 2009

Click Here To Print

When my cruise documents came, I put them aside until I could check online to see what cabin I’d be occupying. (I’m on a “guarantee” status, as I did not ask for any particular place in my category.) So when I looked yesterday, I found the number added to the online registration form I had filled out two months ago.

Having done that, I could then print out the entire form, as required for check-in, with my cabin number included. Although the cruise line now has all my necessary information (passport, credit card, past history with the line), it’s proof of who I am and I simply wave it at them when I arrive at the desk.

Mom and I started cruising around 1984 and they didn’t have all this stuff. We filled out sheets of paper, they found us on sheets of paper, and everything took about twice as long, if not more, than it does today. Now we pretty much sail through and, as happened last time, I barely slowed down from arrival to gangplank.

I wonder what it was like in the Olde Days when this line was new, around 135 years ago. Not only were there no computers, but I think many people spoke different languages and, as this was an immigrant line, there were most likely a good many crew members who could help them in their language.

People who complain about the short delays in boarding now should maybe watch a film about what it was like to make the crossing then.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, when I was serving aboard destroyers, no paper work..BE THERE!

CJV

July 02, 2009 8:36 PM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

Ah, memories of cruises on your Uncle Sam's yacht.

July 03, 2009 1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home