Saturday, May 30, 2009

Nothing, Thanks

One philosopher asked, “Why is there something, rather than nothing?” We are so used to having something (God, the universe, space) that I find it hard to imagine there being nothing. No universe, no space, no time, no anything.

Ever since I quoted this on Wednesday, I’ve been trying to wrap my mind around the concept of nothing.

We can imagine it when it’s the reciprocal of what should be there: a ream of paper which is now empty, an empty room in a new house which will soon be filled and occupied.

But to have an eternal nothingness: There never was anything, isn’t now and never will be, I can’t imagine. Where is this nothing located? What’s in it? How can there be nothing at all?

Maybe when I get to the other side I will be able to ponder this question and come up with an answer. Of course, there will be something there: God, other people, whatever makes up heaven. But the concept is what I am after and that might be made clear to me.

I wonder occasionally if Hell is nothingness. You are there without a body, without an identity, a past or a future. There is nothing around you. You are at the lowest level of existence and will be that way for eternity.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ever since I was a child, I pondered one particular point of nothingness. We are told the universe is expanding and, although it is universally large, it is not endless. When I asked what it is expanding into, the answer was nothingness. I never could get my mind around that one. I wonder what that nothing looks like.

June 02, 2009 4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, how about creation from nothingness.

June 06, 2009 7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home