Saturday, May 23, 2009

No Clock, No Speedometer

Stop me if I've told you this before, but it's about how I travel when I'm in a hurry and often when there is a time when I absolutely have to be somewhere.

One: I don’t look at the speedometer if there are cars ahead of me. I can’t go over them, under them or around them. If they are going below the limit (or just at it), there is nothing I can do so I might as well sit back and relax.

Two: I don’t look at the clock. I’ll get there when I get there. If I’m alone on the road, I’ll do the limit “and change.” If it’s 40mph, I’ll do up to 45 max, but nothing more. I’m not going to race and cause problems, either for other drivers or for my wallet.

Three: I relax. Getting all tense and grabbing at the steering wheel will not get me there any faster, will not clear the road ahead of me, but will only give me a headache and make me snarky. Sit back, relax, listen to music on the radio and be glad you’re not walking. You’re climate-controlled and comfortable.

If you’re late, what’s the worst thing they can do to you? Yell at you? Tell them that’s not nice. Give you the cold shoulder? Tell them you don’t care to be ignored and walk out. Go for an ice cream cone and leisurely drive home.

If you can, take the back roads, the two-lane with the worn-out center lines. The interstates are faster, but these are more enjoyable.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your last paragraph!

Québec >>> West Palm Beach, 95% backroads.........10 days. Noe THAT'S enjoyment.

CJV

May 25, 2009 5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You beat me CJ.......Québec City to Wilkes-Barre via Lake Placid on down to Johnstown and Rt. 7 and over t oWatkins Glen and on across the 6 ....3 days mebbe....
Exit 318

May 25, 2009 5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home