Saturday, February 07, 2009

The Lure Of Elevator Buttons

"You get into an elevator, someone presses a button to go to a certain floor, the button lights up. Another person looks at the button and presses the exact same one! I’ve seen it happen so many times I’m beginning to think there’s something evil about elevator buttons that compels people to push them even when they don’t have to. Either that or people are just idiots." (xiii.com blog site)

I was in an elevator once with a slightly-nutty professor who not only kept pushing the button for his floor, but started talking to it. Or all of them; I wasn’t sure. He kept muttering away and I stood as far in the other corner as I could – not an easy job in a very small cab.

When I’m in an elevator and people are going to the same floor, I’ll hit it a couple of times, smile and say, “We’ll stop there twice.”

I worked in a place where the top floor was “key access,” and one person kept his key in the access position, apparently thinking it would get him there faster. Never did understand it and he was not the kind of person you would ask.

My preference is for elevators with open-face lattice doors where you can see the floors passing by. They have gone out of style and all you have now are the closed boxes with nothing to look at. Cruise ship elevators are of the old style, both exterior toward the water and inside; they are fun to ride.

2 Comments:

Blogger D.B. Echo said...

I consider it rude to mooch off someone else's button-push. If I'm going to the same floor as someone else, I like to announce my intention by pressing the button for myself. I think there should be some mechanism or bit of programming that holds the door open extra-long if multiple people are getting off at the same floor.

February 09, 2009 10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or when you're having a bad hair day, as you step out, you run your fingers along the entire row of buttons...

Exit 318

February 09, 2009 11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home