Wednesday, January 14, 2009

By The Way, I'm Sprung

It’s not exactly, “Free At Last! Free At Last!” as this was merely the end of a hospital stay and not a major civil-rights demonstration. But it certainly was nice to have my primary physician come into my room and say, “As soon as the paperwork is done, they will send up transport and get you out of here.”

That’s a lot better than sending up transport and going one room to another, eventually ending up in a room with a view … of the city cemetery.

While I was down in the lobby making a call for a friend to pick me up, another was walking through and we negotiated arrangements:
Me: Hey, gimme a ride?
She: Sure.

Waiting for me at home, which only a writer, librarian or other reference person would appreciate, was the new 8th edition of the National Geographic Atlas. Just like a little kid with his new baseball glove, I slept with that baby for the first night. It was a little lumpy, but it did cover the four corners of the earth.

Perhaps the greatest gift of all, trumping even my own large bed, the softly-playing classical music radio station by its side, a few munchies during the day, is the chance to make my own perfect mug of tea. Not hot water with a bag next to it, but hot, steaming perfectly, brewed tea. Life is complete again.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are OK. Missed you.

January 17, 2009 7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same here

CJV

January 18, 2009 11:53 AM  
Blogger D.B. Echo said...

Yes, let me add my voice to the chorus.

It's been a long time since I slept with a book under my pillow so I would be able to start reading it again as soon as I woke up. What better homecoming present than your new atlas!

January 18, 2009 8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home