Wednesday, January 07, 2009

I Posed A Question

Some time back, I noticed a curiosity of geography – not an unusual thing for me, as I am often poring through my atlas or looking intently at maps.

And so I posed this question to several of my highly educated confreres at the college, assuming they would get it and we would enjoy this odd fact.

Ok, they didn’t. Neither get it nor enjoy it.

“There are two islands off the coast of Alaska, the Little Diomede and the Big Diomede. They are two and a half miles apart in clear, open ocean with no current between them. Yet it takes a day to go from one to the other. Why do you think that is?”

Typical replies: “There are icebergs … there’s a strong current … there’s a land mass in between.” I reminded them that such was not the case.

Our maintenance man said, without a pause: “The International Date Line.” Yeah; you can look into tomorrow or back to yesterday. He guessed right and we enjoyed it.

Everybody has a story.
Mary Beard Clapp died in Fairfield CT. She and husband Russ were aboard the luxury liner Ile de France in 1956 when the vessel aided the Italian ship Andrea Doria after its collision with the Swedish liner Stockholm.

8 Comments:

Blogger D.B. Echo said...

About the rain?

I have always said exactly the same thing about the Bloomsburg Fair.

January 08, 2009 10:37 AM  
Blogger D.B. Echo said...

The hazards of seeing a post when it's only just a title!

January 08, 2009 11:55 AM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

What?

I posted the title so I would remember what I wanted to say when I had time to write about it.

January 08, 2009 2:23 PM  
Blogger D.B. Echo said...

Heh. I have you on a feed, so as soon as you posted the title I saw it. I thought that this was a throat-clearing referencing the question at the end of your previous post.

January 09, 2009 9:04 PM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

Ah, now it makes sense.

No, each post is separate from the others, unless noted. I never know what I'm going to write about until I actually put my fingers on the keyboard.

Makes life interesting.

January 09, 2009 9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tom, wasn't dad fishing off of the Mijoy at the time if the Andrea Doria incident? I think that he was ~ 20 miles away....or so he said....

Exit 318

January 10, 2009 6:03 PM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

Well, there are two possibilities, perhaps more.

a) He fished on weekends. The Doria went down on a Wednesday in September.

b) He could have been 20 miles away, as Ernie Schiller went where the fish were and not where his ship's license allowed.

c) But Dad had a tendency to "double back the tape measure," as they say, and 50 miles to him were more like 25 miles to most other people.

d) Hey, it's a great story.

January 16, 2009 3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh-Heh..........
Exit 318

January 17, 2009 6:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home