Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Someone Else Can Do It

Part of my vacation is starting to get very close. Close, as in, “Start looking for what you’re going to wear and, while you’re at it, find a suitable bag to put everything in.” This part of vacationing is very important to me; so much so that I have a drawer in my desk labeled, “Next Cruise” and all the important necessities (as opposed to merely necessities) are in there.

What is neither important nor a necessity is cleaning my room. That used to be a big thing; get the room in order so (a) when I came back it would be all neat and in order, (b) in case I didn’t come back, due to a freak of nature, airplane crash or ship sinking, people would be neither whelmed or overwhelmed at the task of cleaning it.

“After us, the deluge.” (An old proverb put in the mouth of Louis XV, according to The Quote Verifier, by Ralph Keyes.)

But I digress.

I, personally, won’t care what they think or how it affects their opinion of me. There’s nothing scandalous in here, nothing repulsive. Let them talk, let them gossip, let them gaze with amazement and wonder on the meaning of the Donald Duck dolls, the photos of me as a very young lad doing young lad things.

The more astute will say, “He had a good and interesting ride through life.”

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

bon voyage...

January 11, 2008 9:12 AM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

Thank you. I learned early this wise advice: When you back out of the driveway (or, in my case, get into the bus), forget everything back home or at work. You can't do anything about it, nor should you do any planning.

"Vacation" comes from the word "vacate," which is what you are doing.

Work, dust and laundry are faithful friends; they will be there when you return.

January 11, 2008 2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home