Tuesday, January 01, 2008

The Bucket List

Local newspaper interviewed a bunch of people to see what they have on their “Bucket List” – things they’d like to do before they kick the bucket (based on the new movie, “The Bucket List”).

Their lists included: “I think about stuff throughout the year that I want to do, and I try to make sure I do those things … I try to do things I want to, as they come up … I’m sure when I was 4 years old I had a lot different ideas of what I wanted to do. Things change and they might change again … I want to do anything that’s out there to do.”

I used to keep a sort of mental “Laundry List,” much the same as the Bucket List. Mine wasn’t things I wanted to get done before I kicked the container; it was somewhat more positive, accomplishments I wanted to achieve during my lifetime.

Piano; I wanted to play the piano. So I taught myself and, sometime later, took two years’ lessons. Trumpet, about fifteen years later, only because I found one before I located my first choice, the trombone. When I was a kid, I wanted to be a disc jockey more than anything; that came in its own time.

As I crossed items off this mental list, I’d be adding others. Some will never happen, for one reason or another, but others will take their place and I will never be bored. What won’t happen? Private pilot’s license, for one; paragliding, or whatever it’s called, for another. What’s up? Cleaning my apartment.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want my obituary to say "She was a world traveler and visited all seven continents". Four down---three to go.
I also want to go parasailing, and ride a camel and an ostrich. Wheee!!!

January 03, 2008 11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home