Friday, November 02, 2007

Where Did The Day Go?

Here I am again, writing past midnight; despite what the time stamp says, it’s actually early Saturday morning. Where did the day go? For that matter, where did the week go? And where did October go, not to mention the year?

You hear old people wondering where the years went. As my brother says, “Life is like a roll of toilet paper: the closer you are to the end, the quicker it unrolls.”

I like to use time efficiently, but I also like to waste it. No, “waste” is not the word. Enjoy, appreciate, savor. Sitting on the front porch with a friend and just hanging out. That’s not a waste, even if I have things to do. I can be efficient when I’m on the air doing my show, or adroitly zipping down the right streets to get me to my destination in the quickest way with the least tie-ups.

But I do hope, at the end of the day, week, or whatever time span you pick, that I’ve accomplished something. Maybe it’s work, could be maintaining a friendship, possibly even taking care of some project I like. Because, soon enough, there won’t be that much time left.

It’s like summer, when school’s out. In June, it seems as if we’ve got loads of time, but when we’re into the third week of August, the inevitable raises its head. I don’t think we get judged by how much we get done, but by how we used the time given us. We can’t put things off until the end, then suddenly find out it’s our personal December.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home