Tuesday, February 20, 2007

1 Out Of 10

I have no idea how many Catholic men started out as altar boys. It’s not a lot, given how many kids are in church pews and how many are up front. One in a hundred? Maybe not that many?

Back in the ‘50s, I was a soda jerk at the local drugstore. I made up the sodas, the ice cream delights (milk shakes, frosteds, floats) and whatever else we do. I don’t know how many kids lived out where I was, but there were only three or four of us who did this. It was quite the job. Another one in a hundred?

I also delivered newspapers out there. Only five of us did that, so you can see it was another of those “one in x” jobs.

How many kids out in this small village were altar boys, soda jerks and paperboys? I think I was the only triple-threat, so that made me “one in the total population,” small as it may have been.

I found out tonight that 1 in 10 people have worked at McDonald’s. That means a couple of things: It is, over a period of time, one of this country’s major employers … or, 9 out of 10 people have the good sense to find another job.

I never was part of that 1 out of 10. I wonder how many politicians were? Celebrities? Other famous people in one line of work or another? Will we ever have a President or candidate who started working at “Mickey D’s”?

2 Comments:

Blogger Dosbears said...

I worked a few months at McD's and a few at BK, now I are a highly-compensated engineer.

E "you want fries with that?" wok

February 20, 2007 1:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tom,

My college room-mate had the best McDonald's story. Like so many others, he got a job at the local MickeyD's for the Summer. His first day he did what he was told all the while wearing the goofy "trainee" hat. At the end of his shift he walked up to the manager, handed him the hat, and said "Tell the clown I quit!"

February 20, 2007 1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home