Friday, June 16, 2006

Never Did That Before

I was just about to get into the shower when I felt a sneeze coming on. "This is a first," I thought. "Don't think I've ever done this before, sneezed in the shower."

Do others notice things like this? The first time something happened? I was in the college cafeteria one weekend and accidentally lifted the handle for chocolate milk into my tea. "Never done that before," came into my mind. I generally eat with one hand or the other, but one day switched right during the meal; "first time for that," I thought. "Huh."

I don't take notes on stuff like that, but these "First Time When" moments do tend to stand out when they happen. It wasn’t the first time I played the operaQueen of Spades on the radio; that's what I did at that station. Realizing that I never had breakfast in the Arctic before this, well, I was on a trip and that was to be expected. But getting up at 3:00 a.m. to "take care of business" and finding the sun way up in the sky; yeah, that's a First Moment ... in the Arctic, of course.

Tripped the other day and landed on my bed. "First time for that," I said to myself. I wonder why I (we?) can remember that this has not happened before? It's never a planned activity, but something that just sort of happened and it dawned on me that I'd never done this.

NOTE:
I've been writing this all day. If it wasn't one thing, it was another. In, out; phone calls, people, meals, radio show. This is not a "never done this before" moment; just another "another busy day" time.