Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The Due Date Is Just Four Months Away

I know what the name's going to be, where and when the event will take place. Name: Noordam. Place: Passenger ship terminal, New York City. When: 5:00pm, October 14. Depending on the "chicken" aspect, there will be 1,918 of us onboard ("chicken" refers to the fact that it's hurricane season and the ship may be at less-than-capacity).

Let the wusses stay home. I was raised on boats and don't consider it rough until the engine bolts tear loose. I've a friend who spends many hours in very high seas coming across the Atlantic recently. God invented the North Atlantic and its storms, then God gave us the intelligence to build ships that can take it. By crimminy, let those "I'll never cruise again" people on the message boards go to a Disney park for the rest of their lives and let us enjoy God's good oceans.

After all, the first movie we had on the Veendam, when I started cruising alone, was "Titanic" and odds are the movie on this ship, especially if we run into a storm, will be "Poseidon."

*
Everybody Has a Story
Shirley Ann Yelen, a local resident, died recently. Her obituary notes that, "surprising to many at first, Shirley was a real 'motorcycle momma.' For more than 20 years, Shirley had sat behind her husband on their motorcycle, putting on more than 80,000 miles of touring the country." It goes on, "She was predeceased by her parents ... and by her kitties Skit, Skat, Skoot, Skeeter, Skamper and Skiddles. In addition to her husband, Barry and their cat, Scruffles, she is survived by her son Howard and his wife Marcia and their son Mark and their cats Kit, Kat and Tiki; daughter Debra and her husband Sean and their cats, Cole and Nina."

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps you will make blog entries from the ship as you sail along? Perhaps there will be rough seas as you pass Cape Hatteras?

I would so love to read reports of that as it happened! I could imagine how the the ship felt as it slammed down in a foamy trough.
Oh, I'm getting all excited just thinking about it!

June 13, 2006 9:19 PM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

Blog entries from the ship? Not very likely; I will continue my practice of keeping a daily diary on www.cruisecritic.com at the Holland America Line board and will post that site here.

June 14, 2006 2:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd LOVE to take the place of one of the "chickens" you speak of... and MAY, since it seems as though mid-August cruises are being sold at some pretty steep discounts. I dealt with some heavy seas my first cruise, and other than keeping one hand on my glass at dinner, it didn't bother me much at all.

And re your Everybody Has a Story, she sounds a little like me, minus the motorcycle part, as my furry, four-legged, felines are every bit a part of my family.

June 15, 2006 6:04 PM  
Blogger Reading Reader said...

You are going on vacation on my birthday!!! Guess I won't forget, huh? I just got back from the beach.

June 17, 2006 7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home