Thursday, October 28, 2010

Report From The Nuns' Boarding School

I went to two boarding schools and neither one could completely contain me. I never got caught, but the good Sisters had their suspicions. I also had outside contacts for such things as getting letters to boyfriends mailed ( writing to any male other than family was strictly verboten) and getting contraband food into the building.

That included a bottle of wine that I shared with a good buddy, (now a nun who runs a grammar school in Manchester NH.) She and I got our hands on empty cough syrup bottles and filled them and had them in our refectory table drawer along with our plate, cup and silver ware ... not unlike a penitentiary, or cloistered convent.

The others at our table never caught on, but were some what curious as to why we had such a hilarious time at dinner.

My dad would occasionally let me drive the car back to school after the monthly weekend home. Well, the good sisters didn't have a car, and the closest city was Berlin, Any one that needed to see a doctor or dentist or get any thing for the school that couldn't be delivered, had to go there.

When I had the car I became the designated chauffeur, and consequently the elected one to mail letters, get soda, magazines, and other contraband stuff. The nuns pretended they didn't notice and I pretended to be a model student. Later this education in "getting around" came in handy. (From an Internet friend)

2 Comments:

Anonymous HelenWheels said...

That's a great story. How long ago was this?

November 11, 2010 1:09 PM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

She has to be in her 70's.

November 12, 2010 3:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home