Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving

Hmmm. Things to be thankful for; sometimes we really have to search for these, because the bad stuff seems to be more prominent.

For instance, I have an incurable physical disorder; not good. But I’m thankful there are medications which pretty much control it.

My car should have a bumper sticker that reads: “This is not an abandoned vehicle,” but it does get me where I’m going and back home again. No complaints there.

So I graduated from high school at the bottom of my class; things were lousy for me during those years. But I found my soul in radio, still do, and it’s been 50 years.

Thirty years ago, I was in a comfortable position and took a chance to chuck it all and start out in a totally new direction. I’m very thankful I took that leap.

My parents quietly encouraged me to do things without their presence. Sitting on the beach in the eye of a hurricane; taking a train trip at age 4 with my 8-year-old brother; getting a job at a major radio station, with zero experience, when I was 17.

I am thankful Mom took me on nature walks when I was a tot, because I learned how to really see the small things, to look for the miniature, to appreciate what others don’t see in their hurry. It helped make me a strong writer.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom,

You said it right.

Yo' Bro

November 28, 2009 8:52 AM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

...and you, of course.

November 28, 2009 12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home