Tuesday, June 23, 2009

What Flavor? (Flavor? What's That?)

It was a long time ago, more than 60 years, when I patronized Derling’s Dairy up the street from us. I’d get a dime from someone, go up there in the wet coolness and someone would come out and ask what flavor cone I’d like.

I had no idea what “flavor” meant, but I did know if I answered “vanilla,” I’d get a cone. I don’t know what ice cream cones go for now, but it’s got to be more than a dime.

In this upcoming Sunday’s music column, I happened to mention the now-gone College Inn, which used to be in Milford, Connecticut. My parents went there fairly often and it was, as I recall, a better-than-average joint. Classy like, tablecloths and people dressed up. Not like your typical drunk bar.

My brother and our cousin then started flinging e-mails back and forth talking about their favorite places in Southern Connecticut. Nothing anyone on this blog would recognize, except the names are so much like the Mom & Pop places you would find anywhere in the country; not a chain in the bunch.

“Aherns was great …Miller’s Hot Dogs …Skippers, Pops, Paradise Pizza (named for Paradise Green, its location), the Ocean Sea Grill, St. John’s Drug Store.”

There were hardly any chain places that I can recall. All were owned and operated by the locals and each had a definite individual look and flavor.

2 Comments:

Anonymous ruthc said...

I had no idea what “flavor” meant, but I did know if I answered “vanilla,” I’d get a cone.
You mean you didn't know about chocolate???

June 27, 2009 10:07 PM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

Not until my grandmother introduced me to a double chocolate ice cream soda: chocolate flavoring with chocolate ice cream.

She was the greatest granny one could ever want.

June 28, 2009 2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home