Saturday, June 13, 2009

Where Is There Land For Free?

“Oh, give me land, lots of land under starry skies above, / Don't fence me in. / Let me ride through the wide open country that I love, / Don't fence me in.”

I want to move somewhere that’s not owned by anybody. Be there such a place? Doth there exist in this Fair Country of the US of America a plot of land upon which a deed has not been drawn?

“I want to ride to the ridge where the west commences / And gaze at the moon till I lose my senses. / And I can't look at hovels and I can't stand fences. / Don't fence me in.”

What acre of land can I build my house without having to fork over pictures of dead presidents just to buy dirt? Is there anyplace in the contiguous 48 that’s still there for the asking?

“Let me be by myself in the evenin' breeze / And listen to the murmur of the cottonwood trees. / Send me off forever but I ask you please, / Don't fence me in.”

In Monopoly, you buy everything from the bank. In America the Beautiful, do you buy everything not already claimed from the gub’mint? Or can you still drive four stakes into the aforementioned dirt and claim it for the wife and kids?

Let’s get in our Cayuse and drive out there.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The way I see it- we can't "own" any thing-we borrow it- just for a while.

June 16, 2009 6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home