Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Now That I Think Of It

Sometimes I wonder about the people who brought me to where I am today. The list is flexible, depending on “where I am today” means at the moment. It’s who influenced me, who put up with me, etc. I’m excluding family members here.

Terry McMahon comes to mind occasionally. He was my boss at Sikorsky Aircraft back when things weren’t going too well for me. I think of him from time to him and hope all has gone well for him. He was a good person.

Joe Dubee, our village barber, always treated me with respect, no matter my age. He taught me this and I have never forgotten that all people are equal, regardless of age, status or whatever.

Ray Rackiewicz was my Amateur Radio friend, who lived on the far side of the village, right next to the swamp. He got me into the hobby and I always thought he was the coolest guy under the sun while I was not.

WICC, my first radio station, had many people who helped me break into the business. All of them took an inexperienced kid who picked up on things really fast and gave him the foundation for who he is in radio.

Marty and Nina Plukas at the drugstore (later the general store) who were good when things were bad. That’s the definition of a friend.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe, Marty & Nina....good choices!

These are called ''small community family supporters''. Nothing went any further than their minds. Small communities thrive on folks like Tom's choices because, well because, like the man in the song, ''Lean on me, when you're not strong'' We made it by the grace of people like that. Wonder if it still exists or has the world become too fast.

Exit 318

March 25, 2009 7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home