Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Cat That Watches

When I visit my friend’s house, her cat is waiting for me. Reason? Don’t know. Maybe it’s because I have some fish for him, perhaps it’s playtime, even companionship while I fall asleep on the couch and he can snuggle up with me.

Or some other reason that only cats know. I dare not ask.

When I show up at night, he’s been warned I’m coming. So there, in the window, is a round object with two pointy things on either side. “Either the cat is waiting for me, or some strange being has taken over the place,” I think. So far, it’s been the cat.

I’m taking care of the cat for a week and, when I went over last night, I saw the same apparition in its second-floor window as I pulled into the driveway. Faster than you can say, “Friskies,” it appeared in the living-room window as I got out of the car.

The first cat, in the first home, would also go to the window when my friend said, “Tom’s coming.” I told her the cat really didn’t understand the words, but just the tone of voice. She disagreed, but said she would go along with an experiment. I suggested, “Penelope’s coming.”

She did as instructed and the cat just looked at her, strangely. Then she said, “Tom’s coming,” and the cat ran for the window. It’s too bad we can’t deal with sign language like Koko the gorilla; that would be real fun.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

''Tom's coming'' in cat language means ''tuna fish''

Sorry about that, hope I didn't break your balloon....CJV

March 22, 2009 1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cats absolutely, positively learn words. Once, my father-in-law sat amazed when I told the cat "Daddy has shrimp". The cat marched right over to where my husband was sitting.

My current furball came to me knowing the words "no" and "down". Had nothing to do with tone of voice (I can't scare anything.)

March 22, 2009 1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home