Sunday, November 16, 2008

On A Scale Of 1 To 17

The 8th Street Bridge, on a safety scale of 1-100, rates a 2. It’s ready to collapse and we cross it wondering if, perhaps, our number might be up. But suppose we used a different scale? Why just 1-100 or 1-10? How about measuring it on a scale of 1-87 … or a scale of 14-121.

My college calls its alumni once a year to make pledges. People send $25, $50, $100 and more. I usually donate $42.53 or $47.81 or even $51.67. There is, to my mind, nothing magic about zeros after the initial number. It also leaves people wondering what’s up with this guy. I wonder, too, so they’re in good company.

Has anyone ever seen a speed limit sign that indicates, as an example, 27mph? How about Interstate 95.3?

Speaking of odd numbers, some of the younger set want to vote for President and VP. Why not? I think it would be a good idea to have voting rights for kids 10-17 and have a special sort of president who would be in charge of children’s affairs. One person, with maybe a vice prez, whose job is to keep an eye out for matters that affect them.

I wonder if the one-cent piece has a future. At one time, it had value; these days, it’s just an accountant’s tool. While we’re at it, how about ditching the nickel as well. What with the prices of things these days, five cents one way or the other is hardly worth figuring. Make the dime our basic unit of money.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As my GPS translates mph to kmh., 65 mph is given as 104 kmh, 50 mph is 79 kmh

CJV

November 17, 2008 7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has anyone ever seen a speed limit sign that indicates, as an example, 27mph? How about Interstate 95.3?

I like the "speed limit = route number method, myself.
Example, why have two signs, one for 30 MPH on Route 33? Just drive 33 MPH.
Could make driving on I-95 real challenging!

November 17, 2008 12:32 PM  
Blogger mjr said...

I have seen some 8 mph signs, which always made me wonder if you are going that slow, what difference does it make if it is 8 or 10?

December 01, 2008 6:28 PM  
Blogger mjr said...

RuthC: Your idea is intriguing. Makes getting from NYC to Philadelphia intersting; as you say, you could take I-95, or the scenic route on U.S. 1.

December 01, 2008 6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home