Monday, October 27, 2008

A Fourth Of July Feast

Funny time to be thinking of Independence Day, but I was just watching an old tape that was kicking around my room and, among other things, it had part of a National Geographic program about food.

Hot dogs, to be exact. Fifty million of them, enough to go along both coastlines of the U.S., all gone on the Fourth. If things keep up, we’ll need a longer coastline or, perhaps, use Hawaii.

In a person’s lifetime (not mine; I stay away from those who-knows ingredients things), we go through 5,442 dogs and about as many rolls. That surprises me, the equal number of rolls, as you often see people having hotdogs and beans on a plate – unless they use the rolls for something else.

Anyway, between hotdogs and sausages, we willingly part with six billion bucks. The figures aren’t in yet for mustard, ketchup and relish.

Burgers? 47 billion last year. I think in your lifetime, you eat your car’s weight in burgers and put 12,000 buns around them. Lettuce, tomato and pickle extra.

When the first McDonald’s opened in Bridgeport (around 1958), I think dogs were 15 cents and burgers were 25 cents. Being cheap even then, I went for the obvious. Hey, two burgers or three dogs with a nickel left over.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does National Geo. do anything on Vegetarians?

October 29, 2008 11:12 AM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

Broil, bake or fry them; that's about all.

I really don't know. It was a show about food and I think I blogged on it before. It mentioned bread, milk, potatoes and other things we go through in a lifetime.

October 29, 2008 2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I understand the urge to tape certain programs.... but one about hot dogs? And then you KEPT it? What's next? That expose on paint drying??

October 31, 2008 8:55 AM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

It was about the amount of food we consume in a lifetime. I probably taped it because I wasn't going to be around for the whole thing.

Then I recorded over it and, when that show was finished, the last part of the NatGeo show was still there.

It was interesting to see them lay out how many loaves of bread we consume, how many potatoes we go thru in a lifetime (a truckload), quarts of milk, etc.

I just happened to come in on the Fourth of July segment.

October 31, 2008 10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous.......

You should see his video library!

Tom, how many lbs of rice are stowed aboard a cruise ship for a ten day trip?

CJV

October 31, 2008 4:30 PM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

I think about 2,500 pounds. If I find the list of what the ship carries, I'll post it.

October 31, 2008 4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home