Saturday, April 05, 2008

Waiter, Waiter! Percolator!

About 4:30 this afternoon, I finished up a thermos of decaf coffee that was made yesterday afternoon at 5:30. It will come as no surprise to you that I am not any kind of perfectionist when it comes to the stuff; all I am looking for is something liquid, warm and a touch on the sweet side.

Tea, preferably, but I’m too cheap to throw out a jug of coffee, even if it’s nearly a complete day old. I’ll have my thermos filled with tea when I get back from church and do my radio show.

The title for today’s blog is from a song, “Java Jive,” which is not completely about coffee:
“I love coffee, I love tea,
I love the java jive and it loves me.”

The sacred hot liquid is also called “joe,” for which nobody has a good explanation. Most of us start the day with coffee and there is a morning tv news show with Joe Scarborough called “Morning Joe.” You will also hear “cuppa,” as in, “Let’s get a cuppa.” Mud, there’s another one.

Java, joe, cuppa, mud. One of my friends used to pass by me on his way to work, raise his hand in a grip and shout, “Mug Up!” as he went to a diner for his morning brew. A guy who worked with me, and was fairly hung over in the morning, thought he was saying, “Wampum!” I never could convince him.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, when I hear "cuppa" I think of tea, not coffee.
"Cuppa tea" right now sounds like a good idea!

April 05, 2008 7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home