Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Stages Of Life

I got to thinking about the guys’ stages of life. The real ones, not what you study in books.

Babies: “Isn’t he cute? He’s got Mommy’s nose, Daddy’s smile, and he’s holding Grandpa’s teeth.”

Ten: “I’d like to get my hands on whoever gave him that little tool kit. Once he got a hammer, he’s found a lot of things that need pounding."

Teenager: “He’s a fine young lad, and someday he’ll take over the family business, whether he wants to or not.”

Twenties: “Oh, he’s so handsome! Girls are fainting and old ladies are thinking back to when their husbands looked like that.”

Sixties: “My, what a distinguished gentleman.” (Meaning: He’s still got it and he could still get it, but brown has turned to gray and desire has turned to wisdom.)

Eighties: “Doesn’t he look wonderful?” That is, he can still walk with assistance, he managed to recognize a few relatives and it’s time for his nap.

Nineties: “Better bring another blanket; it’s only 80 in here. No, grandpa, I didn’t say ‘sank it, we need a beer.”

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This really is blatant sexism- I am surprised!

August 27, 2007 9:25 AM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

Just comments I've heard, about men *and* women.

August 27, 2007 10:41 AM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

August 27, 2007 11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

August 27, 2007 2:32 PM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

August 27, 2007 3:08 PM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

Obviously, the original post didn't go the way I had intended.

So...

I re-wrote it.

Those who know me are aware that I am definitely not sexist. But often, offense is in the eye of the offended, unless obviously in the output of the offender.

As Michael Vick just said, "This incident has made me get religion and find Jesus." (I didn't know He was lost, but that's another matter.)

August 27, 2007 5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok I guess I can concede on the men part, but really try to look at the gals section as from a gals perspective?

August 27, 2007 5:01 PM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

I'm not a gal; that's probably why the original blog didn't work. At least the discussion was mature and positive, which opened my eyes to something I didn't think was there.

I sit corrrected as soon as my behind heals.

August 27, 2007 6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is good-you're not going to give a shot on the womens side?

August 31, 2007 10:39 AM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

Not until I have a sex-change operation. The original post had both sides, but someone objected and I considered that a person of one class can't see things the way a person of another class can.

In other words, what a guy/gal writes about the other gender may well be sexism to the gender written about.

Can of worms ... tiger trap ... don't want to go there ... whatever analogy you prefer.

I suspect that if a woman were writing this blog, the same comments would be gleefully received, while those about guys would be taken badly by us.

August 31, 2007 1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right- I surrender!

August 31, 2007 2:57 PM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

goyard wallet
golden goose sale
yeezy shoes
yeezy
goyard handbags
golden goose sneakers
golden goose outlet
goyard bags
golden goose outlet
golden goose outlet

June 21, 2020 12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home