Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Grocery List

I keep a sort of “grocery list” in my head of things I want to do eventually. Not all of them work out, at least so far, but I’m surprised at how many do. I’m also mildly amused at those which are added to the list as time goes by.

Always wanted to be a disc jockey on the radio. I began in the news department of a radio station and eventually I did “air,” as we call it. I wanted to be a tv cameraman, but that hasn’t happened yet; I did run the old RCA black and white cameras, as well as some newer color cameras, but never during a regular show. I also worked Master Control in a tv station once. Story there.

I wanted to play the piano and had to teach myself; also wanted to play a brass instrument and found myself both a trumpet and a teacher. The cello was dropped from the list because it would cause problems with my “reading finger” – I am a Braille transcriber and need that sensitivity. I thought it would be good to learn Braille and Morse code, which I can do both.

On my “to do” list are: Fly a Cessna 172, or similar airplane. The chances of having a pilot’s license are remote, but I’d like to get up there and fly around for a bit. I always wanted to drive an over-the-road bus; again, chances are remote but maybe there is a possibility out there, so I remain hopeful.

Always wanted to have a newspaper column and, by darn, I do.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's the difference between an "over-the-road" bus and the other kind(s)?

August 24, 2007 4:23 PM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

There's (a) city buses and (b) over the road buses. Greyhound and Trailways are OTR; the LCTA (WB) and COLTS (Scranton) are city buses.

August 24, 2007 8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I drove a Greyhound bus once! OK, it was an empty bus, in the parking lot of the bus depot, for only about 5". But it WAS in reverse! And I DID drive it! :)

August 24, 2007 10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home