Saturday, March 10, 2007

The Snack Of Champions

I’m making some porridge-plus as my mid-afternoon repast.

Starts with Quaker Oats, then after it’s cooked for a minute, I add dried fruit from various packages of Welch’s products: Pineapple, mango and papaya (from “Tropical Sensation"), pineapple, apricots, cherries, apples and raisins (“Mixed Fruit”), blueberries, cherries, cranberries and golden raisins (“Berry Medley”), dried cherries and raisins.

The liquid is water; I cook it until it has the consistency of wallpaper paste and there is never any sweetener added.

To my mind, there are fewer satisfying things to have than this. Especially when accompanied by a well-brewed mug of tea and some fine music in the background.

The style of music is up to you and will vary. Right now, I am listening to some Benny Goodman discs that had never been released until he donated them to the Yale University Library. They were in-person concerts, saved from oblivion and now entertaining the likes of me.

Now the porridge is finished, my mug of tea needs a quick 30-seconds in the microwave and I have to continue prepping my radio program. But, as Wheaties is the Breakfast of Champions, my porridge concoction is certainly the Snack of Champions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home