Monday, March 05, 2007

Looking For Blacks, Looking For Coloreds

When you are a mother, sometimes you run out of ideas to keep your children busy and entertained. Especially in the days before television and a lot of the gadgets that pass for babysitters these days.

What’s a mom to do? Well, if you live on a moderately busy street, you can have the kids count cars. Not just any cars, mind you. The older brother can count black cars and the younger gets the colored cars. In those days, they were pretty much equal, so neither could run up the score. I remember the day we did it and, sure enough, we had abut the same number when it was over.

Some day, when I am bored out of my mind, I might make up a sheet with colors already noted and sit up at the top of our hill where there is a busy street and note how many of which color go by. Just glancing out the window now, I don’t notice any black cars at all.

There used to be a lot of two-toned cars. We had a wonderful ’55 Chevy, white over red. Classy piece of metal on wheels. I don’t notice any of those now and there aren’t any going by. One year, Chrysler had a three-toned car and it resembled a birthday cake.

Anybody see whitewalls anymore? From my perch here, I haven’t seen one go by. They were big, they were tiny and there were even fake pieces of plastic you could add on later. Nobody seems to have skirts over the rear wheels, either; does anyone even remember what they were?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved fender skirts and Continental Kits...

p.s. St. Patrick's Day Expose (Exiled On South River Street) will be available for download very soon...

March 05, 2007 7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom - I've got a 1958 Metropolitan with built in fender skirts. Its one of the smallest cars ever marketed for American roads, and yet thanks to the fender skirts has a terrible turning radius...

March 12, 2007 12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home