Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Barbarian Week On The History Channel

Well, at this point, the Saxons have busted some other group and the bodies are laying all over the countryside in various states of disrepair. Fridays are set aside for dogfights in various air wars where pilots blow other pilots (and their planes) out of the sky.

Maybe if I were in a war, I would feel differently about it. But right now, I don’t know how I would live with myself knowing that I took someone’s life. I’d rather not ask any vets, in case they have spent the intervening years trying to put it out of their minds.

If in a war, I'd prefer to take any position that did not require shooting another person. Maybe, if I had a family back home, I would feel differently about killing someone, rather than being sent to meet my Maker earlier than expected.

If it weren’t such a big issue, it would not be ten percent of the Commandments. It’s right up there with no strange gods, no adultery and the others. You just don’t kill people.

Yeah, I know: Hitler and his pals; bad guys who we had to fight. But I don’t see any other wars, conflicts, police actions and such in the 20th or 21st century that had much of any justification for wiping out each other. We invented them and sent our people to kill the other side’s people for what were probably more economic than defensive reasons.

I think I’d rather be judged for being shot at, than for shooting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home