Wednesday, November 29, 2006

A Good Time For Fish

It’s coming up on 10:30 in the evening, just about the time my shared custody cat will be coming out of her box on top of the entertainment center. She stretches, makes her way down and sits off to one side of me. After a while, she moves around to the kitchenette to my left, walks around, then returns to her original sitting position.

It’s time for her late evening snack, a good time for fish. I pull out a few scraps of whatever is in the fridge (tonight it happened to be salmon) and she meows as if she has not had any food for at least a day, if not two. The dish is down, the cat is hunkered and she enjoys the repast.

The evening snack is a daily ritual; if she is up and around, if she gives the right signals, there is a noontime bit of fish (or chicken, whichever is available). If she gave her signal, but I was not ready and she walked away, I have my own “snack is on” whistle, unlike the others I use, and she’s back here before I can put the dish down.

Cats will eat only what they need. If they’ve had enough, they will leave the rest until later. Dogs, on the other hand, eat each meal as if it’s their last, grabbing it quickly. This kitty has her little snack and goes wherever cats go when they wish to be alone to ponder the mysteries of the universe. This usually happens in front of a window.

The next day, it starts again. Breakfast at the usual time; a small snack around noon, if she tells me she wants one. Supper around 8:00pm when I have her, with snack on demand usually around 10:30 or 11:00. A good time for fish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home