Monday, October 09, 2006

A Girl Saw A Dinosaur

All I originally wanted was a watchband; the one I was using was falling apart in the good places and the worst spot had duct tape holding it together. I had also been thinking of a new watch, some easy-to-read inexpensive Timex.

The conversation went something like this, between me and a Cute Young Salesgirl:

Me: "I think a Timex watch might be good."
CYS: "We have a few here."
Me: "This one is nice; is it a wind-up?"
CYS: "Sir?"
Me: "Do you wind this watch?"
CYS: "I don’t understand what you mean."
Me: "Like this:" (I demonstrate on my watch.)
CYS: "What are you doing?"
Me: "You are watching a dinosaur winding his watch."
CYS: "I’ve never seen that before."
Me: "When you get home, tell your grandfather about this."
CYS: "All our watches use batteries."
Me: "We used to wind them once a day. Long time ago."
CYS: "…oh…"

I bought the watch, then left the store and looked to see if any pterodactyls happened to be flying by.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was the salesgirl able to make change without using the register/computer?... alley-oop oop, oop, oop-oop...did she understand "dinosaur" or did you have to say "ya know, like Barney?"

October 09, 2006 5:46 PM  
Blogger D.K said...

I owned a watch that would wind up just by a couple of flicks on the wrist; never mind batteries.

October 09, 2006 6:30 PM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

Mad Drummer said: Was the salesgirl able to make change without using the register/computer?

I used a VISA card. However, given the way she acted, I would suspect she might have been able to do it fairly well. She was not chewing gum. You can't chew gum and make change at the same time.

October 09, 2006 11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home