Tuesday, September 26, 2006

... Then A Miracle Happens ...

The radio show I produce and direct every day is, so I'm told, a relaxed and easy-going hour of news and information aimed at the visually impaired and homebound elderly. We've plenty of them in this area, and plenty listen to us; they like the comfortable way the crew interacts, and how we make our way through the program.

Well, it's not quite that way. Almost without exception, the other readers came in whenever they had time and read a few separate pieces onto a digital disc. Those cuts, with whatever I might have had leftover from the previous day, are lined up in approximately the order I will use them and I will make up a list of what they are, who read them and how long they last.

When I actually do the program, I slip in and out of "live" (me) and the recorded inserts (them). On some inserts, we chat briefly before they start; on others, they introduce it themselves; often, I ask what's next and start the disc.

Things often foul up, one way or another, and I have to ad-lib my way out of it. I've found that, no matter how bad the show looks in the studio, I try to keep my head above water and then a miracle happens: It sounds good coming out of our listeners' radios. I'm always surprised when that occurs and can never figure out how it happens.

There are things we don't need to know.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds good coming out of our listeners' radios.
Yes, it does. :)
But you shouldn't be surprised. Years of experience add up to a smooth effect.

September 26, 2006 5:54 PM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

Non; il est mon frere qui parle francais et aussi anglais.

September 28, 2006 3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home