Sunday, September 24, 2006

Events Of Note Today

Got a haircut today. For those who know me, it's a subject worth mentioning in my daily blog. I've been here since April 4, nearly six months, and you haven't heard me mention it yet. I can't really tell you how many years it's been since anyone's seen my ears; I just saw a photo of myself taken 27 years ago and they weren't visible then.

A friend of mine is in the hospital for some sort of digestive operation. He and his wife are fairly private people and I really don't know exactly what it's all about. What I know is he's probably about 93 and anything big at that age is dangerous. He writes a music column with me every week for the local newspaper and we just had our 25th anniversary filling 18 inches on the entertainment page.

Just saw in the newspaper that a woman died who, back home, lived but a few blocks from us. She had worked in the same factory (Chance-Vought) as my father making the Corsairs that won the air war in the Pacific, then worked in the same factory (Sikorsky) as me building helicopters.

Local guy had a lot of entertainment and other stuff ripped out of his Hummer yesterday, "probably by druggies." He complained to the City Fathers about it. They pointed out the store his sweet elderly mother runs, the Anthracite Newstand (yes, one "S"), is not without involvement: she also sells bongs, zip papers, scales and anything else that will help you ruin your brain. There's a sign saying it's for tobacco use only and she says she's against drugs; "I don't even drink alcohol." The irony was not lost on the authorities who chewed out her and her son. Hey; ya gotta weigh out the tobacco before you roll your own.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All best wishes to Jazzbow for a successful operation and a speedy recovery.
All best wishes to his wife for dealing with a sick husband, too.

So, how short did you get the hair cut? Gonna look all spiffy on your cruise in three weeks!

September 24, 2006 10:26 AM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

How short is it? Ears still covered, hair still collar-length in back. But there was a lot to sweep up. I get it cut because the wind on the Sky Deck whips it around; that's the reason why I have it done before the cruise.

September 24, 2006 11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home