Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Using Your Thunderstorm Detector

Every house and every car has one, so why not use it? Instead of guessing, looking at the sky and wondering, taking a chance with leaving your windows open or having activities in the open air, just check the Thunderstorm Detector and be sure.

I use mine all the time. Sometimes it drives my friends nuts, but they also ask me to check for them.

It's an AM radio. Lightning produces static (which you cannot hear on an FM radio) and when you listen to this static, you can tell (a) if there is a storm, (b) how bad it is, (c) how far away it is. It takes a bit of practice, but it works quite well. The only flaw is that you don't know if it's going to hit right where you live, or a few miles away. But it's close enough for everyday use. Just tune the radio between stations so you can hear the lightning static crashes more clearly.

I mentioned this in passing the other day when I talked about nature's symphony. This time, it's nature's advance warning system, giving you possibility, strength, distance and speed of approach. And all this on an ordinary AM radio. What could be cheaper and easier?

1 Comments:

Blogger David Yonki said...

LOVE THE AM!!!! I know when the weather is getting bad when my WARM starts snapping, , my WNAK starts crackling and my WILK starts popping. Then I get a craving for a bowl of rice krispies and wait out the storm.

August 05, 2006 12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home