Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Change, Change, Thou Unchanging Light

Quite often, I think of eternity, the concept of living forever, living without end, always being alive in (hopefully) heaven or (trying hard to avoid it) some other place.

I think of this most often when I am stopped at the traffic light on East Union Street, trying to cross North Main Street in Our Fair City. I have been waiting here for, what, three hours now? Or has it been a couple of days? I know the guy ahead of me went out for a sandwich a few hours ago and I think he’s going for coffee sometime soon.

The last time I thought of eternity was when I was going up River Road in Plains Township. It’s a long road, no passing all the way, and I was behind an OMWAH. For those who just tuned in, that’s an Old Man Wearing A Hat. They always drive slowly; check it out next time you are on a road. Slow driver? It’s an OMWAH.

I was in the local supermarket, quick checkout lane, one jar of peanut butter. Lady ahead of me had six items. We’re good to go. “That’ll be $10.95.” “Well, let me see. I knew I had a ten in here. I don’t want to break a twenty, and I have some change. Oh, here’s a coupon; I wonder if it’s still good. Here’s a nickel, two quarters,…”

The Greyhound bus is leaving NYC for Boston. You want peace and quiet. The person next to you wants to talk endlessly. It’s gonna be a long trip. But: You stay still and when he taps you, then your response is, “C’est dommage, mais je parle francais seulment” and hope he doesn’t.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah bon, pas fou le gars!

Jean-Chrysostome Vail

March 12, 2010 10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home