Sunday, October 04, 2009

Hands, And What To Do With Them

What should you do with your hands? You are standing there with these two things hanging at your side; do you just let them hang, in full view of everyone? Do you stick them in your pockets? Hold on to each other behind your back? Cross your arms? Just what are you expected to do with them?

Go into any formal setting and just watch the guys. (I’m not sure what the gals do, so I can’t speak for them; it might make for another blog some day.) Do they have enough self-confidence to just let them all hang out? Most of us look uncomfortable that way and would prefer to hold a book, just to have them look as if they were working.

Radar O’Reilly, in M*A*S*H, did just that. One hand was damaged somehow and he kept a clipboard, or anything, in it so none of the viewers would catch on.

When I’m on the radio, I often work with my right hand over my head and my fingers touching my left ear. I don’t know when I started it, or why, but it does give that hand something to do, while my left hand operates the control board. At night, I sleep with my arms together at a 90-degree angle, like a cat; gives them a place to be.

Almost never in my life have I leaned on my elbows, thus preventing any calluses there. It also means I have to lean in other ways that keep the aforementioned elbows slightly off the edge of the desk – and find a way to keep my hands occupied, since they won’t be under my chin. I still wish we had a prehensile tail.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember when I quit smoking many years ago, my hands seemed to always be in my way--

October 07, 2009 5:57 AM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

Stick them down your pants; there's always plenty to do there.

October 07, 2009 8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good thing that you don't have a TV show .....

Wait until you are retired, lemme tell ya, y'work twice as long for half the price. If my hands are idle all I have to d ois ask my wife,

''Honey, my hands don't know what to do''

Out comes the Honey-Do list.

RE: ''Stick them down your pants; there's always plenty to do there''

Pocket pool for govt. workers

Exit 318

October 09, 2009 3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home