Sunday, October 12, 2008

I Don't Think It's A Timex

I tried to buy a wind-up Timex watch once. I’m not even sure self-winding watches are still around. Anyway, here is a real exchange I had with a high-end (highest-end) dealer in New York City.

To: Cellini, Hotel Waldorf-Astoria
From: Tom Carten
I am a subscriber to the New York Times and saw an advertisement for the RM 020 in its advertising supplement this week. While Richard Mille’s watches are somewhat above my resources, I am curious about the price in the lower right-hand corner of the page. It reads, “From 450,000 USD.” Am I to presume this watch sells for $450,000? Just curious. Envious, but curious.

To: Tom Carten
From: Cellini, Hotel Waldorf-Astoria
You are correct. It retails for $450,000

To: Cellini, Hotel Waldorf-Astoria
From: Tom Carten
Thank you for your prompt reply. All I can do is dream. And change the battery in my Timex.

(I wonder if they discount for quantity? I’m not going to ask.)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've seen those wtches! They do everything but talk, but you can buy an option for directions like on a GPS.

Basically the watch cost ten grand, the rest is for the batteries.

CJV

October 13, 2008 4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"From 450,000 USD".
From? From??? Whatever does it climb "to"!!!

October 13, 2008 10:15 PM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

It's about the ugliest thing I've ever seen. For $450k, you'd think it would look good.

Then you add $27,000 tax at 6% -- the equivalent of 13 to 17 New England/Canada cruises. Or, enough to keep me onboard annually until I turn 80.

October 14, 2008 12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home