Monday, June 16, 2008

If I Can Hold Out For Ten Weeks...

It’s not as if I have some sort of terminal illness, or something like that. It’s also not a personal crisis. But I’m hoping that I can just hang on for a few more weeks, just a few days less than eleven.

Today I make the final payment on my cruise, which begins on August 30. I’ve already authorized my travel agent to charge my Visa card and I’ve been clipping undated items from the NY Times that I can read in the Lido buffet / coffee / tea room as we sail along.

But first I have to finish off June, then all of July and all but two days of August. That assumes I can hold out for ten weeks. It’s like going through Lent with a box of chocolates you know are in the kitchen cabinet; can you hold out until Easter?

The situation is a bit different. If I liked candy (which I don’t), I could sneak in and have one a day, probably get away with it. But with a cruise, you just can’t sneak one in without your employer and a lot of other people suddenly wondering where you are. Much less, short of robbing a bank, how you will finance the extra excursion.

So I’ve no choice; I have to hold out. Every day, I look at the calendar and ask, “Are we there yet?” No, we aren’t there yet; go clip more pieces from the Times, ok? Check the catalog and see where you are going, a little item which you never seem to know before the ship leaves and which always puzzles your friends when they ask. So, in just over ten weeks, I’ll find out where I’m going.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are too anxious for the future, you'll lose the present.

Think of how much fun you'll be having this summer down on the circle!

CJV

June 16, 2008 6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's going to be lots of "Live from ..." type journals from a brand-new ship. Maybe reading along will hold you until your cruise comes?
Can't hurt.

June 16, 2008 10:35 PM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

Yeah, that's right: The Eurodam will go into service shortly. The first cruise on a new ship is often when most things go wrong and it will be interesting to see what the "Live From" comments are like.

June 17, 2008 1:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rule one/ if its furry shave it!

June 17, 2008 5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home