Monday, February 18, 2008

Professional Driver

They go together like, well, like a car commercial and the small words, “Professional Driver On Closed Course.”

How do you get to be a professional driver? My mother ran her next-to-last car’s odometer to 180,000 miles; the one before that to 150,000 miles. Much of those miles were on the crowded and wild Connecticut Turnpike (a/k/a Interstate 95, Bridgeport to Greenwich) on a daily basis. My money says she has more miles under her right foot than the professional drivers in the commercials.

I also wonder about those closed courses they mention. As far as I know, it’s a road on which no other vehicles are presently (or ever) allowed. But one day I saw an ad which featured a professional driver on a closed course, unlike any I’ve seen before.

The closed course was a country road, way out in a flat unoccupied area. With a stoplight. I forget exactly what the professional driver did, but I think it was something to do with an action that could be performed before the light turned green and the P.D. on the C.C. could continue along.

The little notice on the bottom of the screen may also have warned us, “Do not attempt.” I’ll have to keep that in mind the next time I’m on a country road with nary a car in sight.

Written by a regular driver on a public road, without film editing.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have quite a few professional drivers around here, all between the ages of 18-25. Some of them are easy to spot, they show up in the Irish Sports Pages. Others are tuning their rides and tuning their brains to the tune of a joint or two,and/or an evening of barhopping and this creates a potential situation of family separation, be it with flowers or spending some time locked down.

Ah yes, the good ol' I-95....speed limit 65, cruising speed 80 ( stay in the middle lane) and drafting between Boston and D.C.

I think that Florida has the best drivers in the U.S. I mean to drive that bad and not have more accidents than they do, you gotta be good!

Cold Josh Vail

February 19, 2008 6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Florida drivers and NYC drivers. For the most part they have a method to their madness.

Virginia drivers are the worst.

February 20, 2008 9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home