Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Clip, Snip, File For September

I don’t bring books on cruises. (a) The ship’s library has plenty, (b) You have to bring them back when there is less room in your bag, (c) You’ve read them, so why bring them back?

I can’t read all the interesting articles in the New York Times every day. Not the news stuff, but all the columns that could be looked at any time; today, tomorrow, in September.

Solution to both problems: Clip them, sort them in four or five basic categories and bring them on the ship, to be discarded as I read them. They’re short, they’re things I find of interest and they are not dated. Great for looking at while I’m having a mug of tea in the Lido buffet restaurant at a table overlooking the water. Just before I fall asleep in the sunlight.

There are usually two or three pieces in the Times every day: an article about life in some remote country, maybe a book review (always interesting to me, if nonfiction), other pieces that are relatively short. Sunday’s Times also has several articles that end up in the file, including a longer book review.

So I want to read book reviews this afternoon. All I do is grab the book review file and head for the Lido. Make some tea, head for a window table and leisurely read about a book detailing the life and times of someone or something. No, I don’t get to read the whole book, but I do get a sampling that increases my knowledge.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I buy used books and then leave them for others to enjoy. That way I get to read what I want and then pass it along for some one else to enjoy!

February 21, 2008 4:49 PM  
Blogger Tom Carten said...

I do that here, giving them to friends who I know will like them. Same with reference books when I update them; people with great interests but limited incomes are very happy to have them.

February 21, 2008 6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home